Friday, October 7, 2011

The Harvest





I LOVE this time of year.  It's my absolute favorite. If I could have my wish it would be Fall for 6 months and the other seasons could divvy up the other half of the year.  I love bringing in the harvest from the garden and shopping farmer's markets and roadside stands. Everything fresh and delish!  I keep plenty busy canning and dehydrating, making jam and building my food storage. Lately, I've been making everything from scratch. (Bread, yogurt, laundry and dish soap...to name a few) I'll blog about some of that later.

This week, I've canned pears, froze homemade tomato sauce and dehydrated onions, garlic, celery, green beans, Italian plums...and it's only Friday!  But it's harvest time and there will be a huge pay-off when winter is here and we are warm and cozy enjoying the yummy comfort foods of Winter.
My family loves Soft Ginger Cookies.  For us they are the culinary symbol that Fall is here! I thought I'd share:

Soft Ginger Cookies

2 1/4 C. flour
2 tsp. ground ginger
1 tsp. baking soda
3/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
1/4 tsp. salt
3/4 C. butter (margarine or shortening are fine too)
1 C. sugar
1 egg
1/4 C. molasses
2 Tbs. sugar

Combine dry ingredients and set aside. Beat butter until soft. Gradually add the 1 C. sugar, beating well. Add egg and molasses; beat will. Stir in dry ingredients.

Shape into 1 1/2 " balls. Roll in granulated sugar and place on ungreased baking sheet and 2 1/2 inches apart.  Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 12 minutes or until light brown and puffed. Let stand 2 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool. Makes about 2 dozen cookies.
This recipe double and triples without any problems. They taste even better the next day.  Enjoy your harvest!

No comments:

Post a Comment